World Cup Fever

Saturday, June 19, 2010

So, being from Minnesota, the only thing I know about Football is the Vikings are #1 and Packers suck. On the other side of the world, it's a different story. Soccer is now called Football and the World Cup is theee biggest thing since the invention of Kimchi. I, however, had no idea. So, while spending hours at my favorite store, Home Plus, I was a bit confused as to why people were buying devil horns and Korean flags. Then I was reminded that there was Korea's first World Cup game that night. I was quickly distracted though, I found clothes and a pair of sandals my size so that obviously took precedence.

Later that evening, Holli, Dom and I decided to try the new Mexican restaurant that we have attempted to eat at at least 3 times with no luck, and were once again in that same boat. They were playing the game, and doing a free Korean style BBQ, which meant no Mexican. Free food is always a plus though. So we had a few beers, had some BBQ and decided to wander around the area. We rarely are over in that district so it was interesting to see the nightlife, especially on such an epic night. Additionally, it was a University area so you can imagine the liveliness that ensued.





After spending a good 20 minutes trying to find a bar or restaurant that had space for us we landed outside of a convenient store. This may not seem like a legit idea, but it was probably the best spot in the whole district. We sat down in the plastic chairs, practically in the middle of a busy intersection, and could see the game in all the surrounding restaurants. The people watching was some of the best I've seen. We drank our soju, had some snacks, and could hear the cheers from blocks away when Korea made a point. People were dressed in red, sporting their red devil horns, and shouting "Fighting" and "대한민국" (taehanminguk) which means Korea. I think? haha. Needless to say, it was one of the more interesting nights out in Korea because never in all my years have I seen so many people excited over soccer. I too have joined the World Cup Fever and hope Korea rocks that shit! Dom was also the camera woman for the evening so she has some good videos, which I will add as soon as she sends them to me. I may be a biiiiit intoxicated, but hey, that's what Saturday nights are for right?



Comments

No response to “World Cup Fever”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Mobile Molly. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger