So I spent last night before the "interview" stressing and I had no reason to! I spoke with the director of the Academy and the first thing she said was "I'm sorry, I do not speak English well". This meant that trying to impress her was the least of my worries, trying to communicate was way higher on the list. We spoke briefly about the school and the culture and she informed me that she will be cooking me many homemade Korean meals and helping me learn Korean. If this wasn't great enough, I got my contract today (oh yah, because I was hired) and it looks fantabulous. I'd just like to point out some of my favorite parts:
1. The teacher will enjoy 15 days of paid vacation (in addition to all Korean national holidays, weekends, and the school’s summer and winter vacation). The teacher can’t take more than 3 days at a time, and he or she should inform the date at least 2 weeks ago.
2. The employer will provide furnished living accommodations and electronic utilities.
3. Severance Payment: The employer will pay 2.3 million won to the teacher after the completion of this contract. It will be paid by bank transfer along with their final monthly payment. Tax will be withheld.
4. One class is 40 minutes.
5. 35 classes a week. (at the maximum)
6. The teacher will work from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (except lunch time- 1 hour)
Not that the job I have now is terrible, but really, 15 days paid vacation plus holidays and winter/summer break? Only having to work 7 hours a day, free housing, as you can see this is AWESOME!
My recruiter has been very helpful, assured me that they will be there in the event that something could go wrong and also said that the non-English speaking director is super sweet and excited for me to come! Hallelujah. Now just to send out the rest of my paperwork, get confirmation for my visa number and head to Chicago for a day to finalize it all.
I'm so excited and scared and nervous and I literally spend my days daydreaming about how this will be so much more exciting than what I have going on here (not that I don't love a lot of what I have here, I'm just over it). It's just crazy that I'm FINALLY doing this.

Comments
One response to “And I'm hired!”
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment |
I cant believe youre really doing this too. So you dont have to know Korean to teach English there?
My cousin actually teaches English in Japan, she hasnt been doing it long though.
Post a Comment