Seriously, WTF? I don't even know why I'm surprised. I'm from Minnesota, the land of crazy weather. But I was really hoping that type of shit wouldn't follow me all the way here. Anyways, I was considering renaming my blog to something along the lines of "Food, Booze, and Teaching" because that's basically all I really have to write about. Speaking of which, my friends and I have recently come to the conclusion that our lives here are like being enrolled in University except with money. We all live in shoebox size "dorms" and the complex that holds my dorm is full of drunkards who come home at all hours in the night (or should I say morning) singing and assuming the rest of the world doesn't have shit to do until 3pm the next day. And of course, the weekend is party hardy time when you attend English Teacher University. So, as you can assume, I LOVE IT HERE!
Now, most importantly I should discuss my amazing new food discoveries, like the BBQ place that comes with a lovely bowl of cheese fondue. The saddest part about this discovery is I've been going to this place for months without ever ordering this delectable dish. You may remember the restaurant I'm talking about, it's the place where Fliss got her shoes stolen. Obviously even crimes as heavy as shoe theft won't keep me away from tasty foods. This also makes me think of the fact that I don't know the name of a single restaurant I frequent. Even though I can read Korean I'm pretty sure all restaurants are referred to by their surroundings or menu (ie. the place with all you can eat sashimi by Fliss', the bomb rib place by my house, the BBQ place by the Megabox with the rock pathway). You get my drift.
Another great new discovery since last time I've updated has been the rooftop patio (or simply just the rooftop) at my friend Dominique's. We had been planning to check it out as soon as the weather got nice so on Saturday I hopped on a bus (yes, I'm taking a break from Taxi's and using the public transportation these days) and met up with her at the local bus terminal/mall. Surprisingly, as I was getting off this incredibly packed and overheated bus I saw Holli leaving the same bus too! Running across another white person in Gwangju is rare, let alone your friend on the very same bus! So the three of us ended up hitting up some food and shopping and took a cab to the end of Gwangju to sit on Dom's rooftop. As you can see it lacks in chairs or a good view but having a spot outside to enjoy the weather without being stared at or bothered is AMAZING. On the downside we managed to drink a lot of beer and soju before 8 o'clock. Another dinner, another set of pictures, a trip downtown, and the night ended all too soon.
Sunday was just as full of adventures as I actually made it out of the house before noon. Fliss and I went on a never ending walk through Gwangju in search of the rumored "big girl" clothes store. We walked from my house to downtown, through Art Street (which was dead on a Sunday) and finally found the Lotte Department store. Inside was a plethora of expensive brands that reminded me of home. Too expensive to even bother looking through for big sizes. However, the bottom level was a 'fine foods' grocery store and restaurant area. In this area we found heaven on earth: Seafood Buffet. There was sushi, sashimi, and all sorts of other delicious Korean foods. On the way out we realized that outside of the Department store was a store with fat white chick pictures on the outside so we knew we finally found our spot! After looking around for about two minutes realized we were sorely mistaken. These fat broad clothes were far too ugly for anyone under the age of 50 so we wandered around Gwangju for another hour more. Finally, a rest was necessary and a DVD Bang was within sight. As you may know, I am quite fond of the Noraebang (pronounced noraybong) and a DVD Bang (pronounced bong) is basically the same concept. A small room for you and your small group to enjoy entertainment from a DVD instead of a Karaoke machine. Downside to this, I'm 99% sure these DVD Bangs are only used by couples who like to makeout and such during their movie watching time. But for me and Fliss, it was awesome, a big ass tv, the movie of your choice, and a long couch you can relax with your legs back and eat snacks and drink soda. I have found my new favorite Sunday activity!
Before I go, I'd like to let everyone that I know back home that I miss you bunches! I've had some pretty vivid dreams of being back in Minnesota and it can get pretty depressing waking up and realizing I'm in Gwangju and everyone is so far away. But don't worry, I'll be back in a year or two and I'll be having those dreams that I'm not here anymore. Send me an email, facebook, or post on here to cure my little bit of homesickness, k? Thanks!

Comments
One response to “It's Snowing.”
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment |
Hi Molly;
I realize I am wayyyyyyy behind the times but after the party at your folks house I obviously got interested and decided to read this instead of doing any work here at good old US Bank...
Will continue reading... hope to see you again before you leave!!!
Love ya, Lisa
Post a Comment