Kids Say the Darndest Things

Thursday, October 14, 2010

However, I really didn't know that until recently because my little ones have finally started to know the English language. I shouldn't say finally like it has taken forever, because it has been a complete miracle considering the amount they have learned in the last 10 months when they started off knowing nothing. They have picked up on everything from everyday sayings, colloquialisms, and are even able to recite entire stories to me. The best, however, are the little things, that I find myself cracking up over.

For example, my name is Molly, and my co-worker's name is Oliver. For short, and to make it easier, we call him Olly. When my students started to realize that he had not one, but two names, they began to question it. They also learned that their own English names are actually short for longer names. Andy is short for Andrew, Jake for Jacob, and the ones with only "one" name seemed to feel a bit left out even. Then it hit Andy, an epiphany of epic proportions, "Molly teacher, if Olly's name is Oliver, then you are...... Moliver?!?" Obviously his little brain has always tried so hard at English and always used logic to make learning it easier. I had to quickly explain that it was not a logical conclusion, but just a random way of American names. But he knew he could get away with calling me Moliver especially when it was accompanied with his devilish grin. So, in case you need to get a hold of me, I now go by Moliver.

Andy has also thrown out a few classic lines in the last few weeks. I must say he is the king of being a ham. Or he's just cheesy. Or we'll just call him my little ham and cheese. But either way, his English is on par. He's really one of those kids that you can tell will go far because he's smart, has a good personality, and can get away with anything. Despite all of his amazingness he currently seems to be in physical self destruction mode and gets severely knocked out every couple days. But, unlike all of the other children he never seems to cry. Just the other day he was standing on a chair professing his love for me (and I know I shouldn't have let him stand on the chair, but like I said, he can get away with anything) and all of a sudden he fell smack backwards on his back/head. Immediately I rushed to him and checked to see if he was okay, but as always he wasn't crying, which is strange considering that seems to be a 6 year olds favorite past time. I went up to him in English and Korean "Are you okay?!?" He lifts his head up and looks at me with the utmost sincerity and seriousness, "Don't worry Molly teacher, I'm ALWAYS Ok. I'm NEVER hurt!" I was initially taken back by his ability to throw down words like "don't worry" and emphasize his feelings with "always" and "never" and then decided to make him feel better by asking if he was Superman. Once again, looking at me as if I just asked the most foolish question ever he said, "No Molly Teacher, I'm a monkey!" And then made the signature monkey face. Gotta Love it.

I'm also really proud of Amy lately. This girl had the hardest time in the beginning. Simple phonics like B-B-Bee would push her to tears but now I can't seem to shut her up. I was reading Goldilocks and the Three Bears (or the strange version my school's Franchise made up) and she quickly started reciting the story as I was reading. Afterwards, with the greatest of ease she managed to throw together key lines, some verbs, and somehow repeat the entire story in English. Of course it wasn't perfect, but anyone who somehow didn't know this story would be able to get the jist from her.

Anyways, I just wanted to share a few of my working highlights which are probably much more entertaining when you're actually there.

In other news, I will be heading to 지리산 (Jiri Mountain) this weekend. My friend Lucy has coordinated a big hike to the mountain where we will visit ancient temples that are actually built into the mountains, hidden away for us to see. We will also be spending the night in some random Korean family's house so it's sure to be interesting. I'll try to take pictures on the mountain but you're not allowed to take pictures in the actual temples (which is lame because they are absolutely breathtaking). Oh yah, what should I be for Halloween?

Comments

No response to “Kids Say the Darndest Things”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Mobile Molly. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger