Fun in the Fall

Monday, October 11, 2010

So this week was a goodun'. Started off Monday and killed it at the gym (and kept up this pace all through the week). I helped confirm my friends contract to Korea (with bomb ass money and vacation) and finally sent my computer back to America to be fixed.

The highlights as usual though are my days/nights out on the town. Friday after work I took a long needed nap and woke up to harassment from Dom to work on our rap. As you many know, this rap has been in the making for many months, and we still have a bit to go. Normally I'd be in no hurry to finish such a lyrical masterpiece, but she has to send back her Mom's video camera asap so we need to get this done.

We met at our usual rap writing spot, Speakeasy, and decided that having a beer or two first would help us. The normal Speakeasy bar fly's were there and after a few more beers our night ended up being an early 90's R&B/Hip hop sing-a-long (instead of a rap writing session.. but I suppose it was good practice since we were still "rapping"). I must say, it was a damn good night. Oh, and I even had my brand new fake hair in so all in all the night ended up being quite lovely!






The next morning, as usual, was a painful bust but I met Jess and Vinita downtown to hitch the subway to the Sangmu neighborhood for the Gwangju International Food Festival. There were definitely a handful of pro's and con's to this event. The obvious pro's was the fact that I got to divulge in a handful of non-Korean food and it was CHEAP. Any festival (especially food based festivals) in the U.S. puts you back 6 bucks for a tiny cup of beer, 8 dollars for a damn hot dog, and the prices just keep going up. Here it was super super cheap, and most of it was quite delicious. The only downside was the tiny size of the festival and its lack of dishes. There was still a large portion of the festival that was represented by Asian countries too, which was basically the last type of food I was craving (though I would have died for some Pad Thai or fresh spring rolls... which they DIDN'T have.)




After this we headed back to Holli's house, who lives a few steps away from the Convention center and relaxed for about an hour. We finally decided to go to the park with a bottle of wine and live our lives like teenagers who can't drink at public establishments. The night became even better when we realized this little park had rentable peddling car/cart/3 man bicycle thingamabobs. See here:


The best part was that I was able to sit my plump behind in the middle and have them do the peddling (I had a good excuse, as I said I killed it at the gym that week and my legs were toooo sore).

We then headed to the vibrant downtown Sangmu area and as usual I do wish I would have had a chance/reason to go there more often because there's tons of food and fun there. We had Shabu Shabu and discussed everything from politics to the up and coming reality that Holli will be leaving Korea in less than a month. As we drank endless bottles of Hite it really hit me how sad I will be about this and how time has FLOWN by.

A little before midnight we hitched a cab downtown and went to German bar where I managed to clear the entire bar out with singing Bob Dylan (for the 12039204923490th time). Then we ran into a handful of buddies who convinced us that the hot spot tonight would be a dance club and, believe it or not, I don't think I was drunk enough for that. Luckily we got side tracked on our one block walk to the dance club by a dog cafe. No, not a dog eating cafe (which is an actual type of establishment here) but a dog petting cafe. At first I was a little hesitant, entering a modern looking little cafe with a handful of cats and dogs with their hair colored pink or orange or even the short haired animals having things written on them in dye on their fur. But, after about a minute with a giant as dog that was fluffier than life I was in love. I miss pets, especially nice ass docile ones like those. I definitely had one of those "when are you gonna do this ever again?" type of moments. After about 15 minutes there we realized we probably had worn out our free stay there (because I think its like 5 bucks an hour or something) and headed to the dance club. Plus side to this: Free beer. Downside: Free beer. Finally after dancing away for a few hours we retreated home.




All in all it was a good weekend. I'm happy to come back to the reality of working and looking forward to Halloween, my friends arrival, and going home shortly after. Not looking forward to Holli leaving and the fact that I blew all my money for the next 10 weeks, hahaha.

Comments

No response to “Fun in the Fall”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Mobile Molly. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger