One Tip on How to Live Frugally

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Move to Korea.

No, but really, recently I was Stumbling, aka the best way to surf the internet, and I came across this site called 50 Tips for Frugal Living. As I went down the list I kept noticing that I really can't make any of these changes. Then I started to consider my level of frugality, and I must say I'm not the cheapest person I know, not by a long shot. Finally it dawned on me that my frugal living was just a product of my environment in Korea rather than the choices I get to make with my money. Regardless, I thought it would be interesting to post this list here and let everyone in America get some good ideas on how to save a few pennies. Plus, since this is my blog and all, I thought I'd also go ahead and let you know how effortlessly it is to save money over here and maybe convince a few readers to come to the Land of Morning Calm. The original post is in bold, my comments are normal.

1. Go with one car. Many families have two or more cars. Besides your house, your car is probably your most expensive item. If you can do with one, you should. My wife and I both work, and we have six kids, and yet we have learned to manage with one car.
Or go with no car. In Korea, especially in the larger cities, everything is very close. You can easily walk, bus, subway, bicycle, or cab anywhere. In Gwangju, the most expensive cab ride I've ever taken was about 13 dollars, and 40 minutes long from one end of the city to the other.

2. Go with a smaller house. Just because you can afford a larger house, doesn’t mean you should live in one. Live in as small a house as you can and still be comfortable. I don’t mean you should live in a one-room apartment with a family of four … you know what I mean. You can save thousands a year with a smaller house. Many times, if you get rid of a lot of clutter, you don’t need a large house.
Or get your apartment paid for. Almost all English teaching jobs in Korea offer free housing or extra money to find your own housing. On top of that, the rent is way cheaper here. Unfortunately there is a larger down payment, but really almost all jobs are free housing. Oh, and downsizing is obviously a side effect of moving across the world, and makes life so much easier.

3. Go with a smaller car. Again, you can save thousands by going with a smaller car. A car instead of an SUV, for example, is a big savings. Be comfortable, but don’t overdo it. You’ll save a lot on gas this way too.
See #1.

4. Rent rather than own. This will probably spark a huge debate, as it always does. The thing is, just don’t assume that buying is the better investment. If you calculate the interest you pay on a mortgage, the cost of insurance and maintenance, buying is often much more costly than renting … and if you rent, save money, and then invest the difference, you can actually end up well ahead in the long run. Now, it’s not a given, so do a comparison, factoring in all expenses.
See #2.

5. Look for used first. If you need something — I mean really need it, not just want it — see if someone you know has one that they don’t use or need anymore. Send out an email to family or friends, or just ask around. You might be surprised. I was about to buy a printer, and then found out my mom just bought a laser printer and didn’t need her old inkjet … saving me close to 100 smackeroos. If no one you know owns one, try freecycle.org or craigslist.org. Then look to buy used, at garage sales or thrift shops. You can find a bargain if you look around.
Or check the Facebook foreigner community pages. In my area we have an entire group devoted to buying all your essential needs second hand. Obviously we all came with nothing and leave trying to get rid of it all. Because of this revolving door you can easily come here and get everything your heart desires on the cheap from a fellow expat.

6. Eat out less. One of the biggest expenses in our daily lives is eating out — the average person spends well over $2,000 a year on eating out. Restaurants are expensive, including fast-food (not to mention the health hazards). It’s much cheaper to cook your own food. Our family creates a weekly menu, then we buy the groceries, and cook dinner (and lunch) each evening. Lately I’ve even been prepping it in the morning, so it’s a snap when we get home.
Or don't. Eating out here is cheap. There is a variety of different ways to do it. The basic diner food, which is still delicious and healthy and doesn't resemble American diners are a great way to eat dinner for under 4 dollars. Go to a basic Korean BBQ for under $9, or splurge for the fanciest dinner ever for about $25. In terms of alcohol, big bottles of beers and a bottle of soju are almost always $3 flat at restaurants. Wine/Cocktails are similar to America but all of this comes without a single tip.

7. Eat out frugally. If you do eat out.
See #6.

8. Brown bag it to work. Instead of eating out for lunch, bring your lunch.
Or get free/reduced cost lunches through your school. Personally my lunch is free. Everyday I get all I can eat rice, soup, kimchi, and side dishes. Not only is it delicious, but it's always surprisingly healthier and I feel energized and ready for the second half of my day after eating. Many of my friends pay a flat rate of about $40-$60 bucks a month on the lunches provided by their schools, still very cheap!

9. Adopt a minimalist wardrobe. This tip won’t be for everybody, but I try for a minimalist wardrobe. I generally wear jeans or casual pants, a T-shirt or Polo-type shirt, and sandals or shoes. Plain, solid colors are my favorite. Everything goes with everything else, and I don’t have too many clothes. This saves me the stress of picking out an outfit, and I don’t need as many clothes.
Or move to a place that doesn't have your size, no temptations! But even though I can not buy clothes here, it hasn't stopped me from splurging whenever I leave this country. So don't listen to me on this one.

10. Stop online impulse buys. This was a problem for me before I canceled my credit card. I used to buy online a couple of times a week. Now I buy maybe once every couple of months, using PayPal or someone else’s credit card. I’m not saying you have to go to this extreme, but realize that online buying can be way too easy (you don’t even have to go to a store) and therefore, we make too many impulse buys. Buy online if you really need something and it’ll save you money, but beware the impulse buy.
Or attempt to buy online and fail miserably because it's in Korean. But if you must attempt some online purchases within Korea G-Market is quite cheap and is available in English if you follow that link.

11. Don’t shop. Don’t go to the mall or other shopping area or department store to look around and shop. Go to a store if you know what you need, and then get out. Many times people go shopping, with a vague idea of what they want, and get caught up buying much more. Or they go just for fun, as a form of entertainment. That ends up costing a lot. It can really add up. Instead, stay away from shopping areas and find other ways to have fun (more below).
Or stop listening to this persons list right about now. That's just lame. Obviously don't go shopping if you are seriously trying to be frugal. But being a girl, and I've managed to save money through numbers 1-10, I say shop responsibly, no matter what country you're in.

12. Use a 30-day list. To curb impulse buys, create a 30-day list. When you want to buy something, other than a true necessity (medicine or food, for example), put it on this list, with the date you added it to the list. And make it a rule that you can’t buy anything for at least 30 days after you put it on the list. And stick to it. You’ll find that you buy a lot less with this system.
Or do something else less ridiculous. Really, if you want to write a list, take out a piece of paper, put down milk, eggs, cheese, etc. and then go purchase them at your local grocery store.

13. Cut out cable. I’ve talked about how I cut out cable before. It saves me money every month (in my area, about $60, or more than $700 a year), and also forces me to do things like read and have conversations and go outside. Win win.
Or cut out TV's all together. This is a realistic option here because even the basic cable is in Korean. If you are lucky to get an English program I can almost guarantee it features Steven Segal, Nicholas Cage, or Tyra Banks. All are motivation enough to be TV-less. Plus, if you haven't learned how to illegally download all your music/tv/movie needs by now you should be googling that instead of reading this.

14. Use the library. Instead of buying books, check them out. The library often also has a great selection of DVDs (depending on your area), saving you even more. Now who needs cable?
Or get a Kindle. While this may actually be way more expensive than the library it's useful when the country you live in doesn't have English books readily available. It's a good life time investment and if you're feeling rebellious you can also illegally download almost any book you want. See, that's cheap!

15. Find free entertainment. Find cheap ways to have fun. Entertainment often ends up costing a lot of money, if you go to the movies, buy concessions, or go out at night, go to the bar, etc. The average person spends about $1,800 a year on entertainment (not including eating out). Now, I’m not saying you shouldn’t have fun … but there are cheaper ways to do it.
Or don't ask me for advice on this one. Entertainment is where I tend to go crazy. However, I can say that almost anything you do for free living in a different country is way more entertaining than in your home country.

16. Frugal exercise. Exercise is important, but it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. Skip the gym.
Or keep up your gym habits, but don't bother with the activation/cancellation fees of American gyms. There are a variety of different gyms here, mine is pretty basic, I pay 40 dollars a month, no added fees, and because everything is so compact here it's conveniently located a block from my house! Now there's no excuse not to go.

17. Stay healthy. Easier said than done, I know, but staying healthy can save you tons of money on doctor’s visits, hospital bills, and medicine over the long run. An ounce of prevention, and all that. Eat healthily, and exercise. Simple and effective.
Or if your home country is struggling with health care issues (cough cough) come here with health care guaranteed for a fairly low cost.

18. Commute by bike. Even if you own a car, commuting by bike will save you gas, and get you in shape at the same time. I highly recommend it.
See #1.

19. Carpool or ride the bus. OK, you don’t want to bike it. So find a friend or neighbor who works near you, and arrange a carpool. Or take public transportation. Simple advice, but something a lot of people ignore.
See #1 again.

20. Walk. Often we drive to the corner store, or to a school that’s less than a mile away. Leave a few minutes early, walk, burn some calories, and save gas.
See #1 again!

21. Sell your clutter. This is not so much saving money as making it, but the frugal, simplifying cheapskate, like myself, will want to declutter and make a few bucks doing it. Hold a garage sale or sell it on eBay. It’s amazing what some people will buy.
Or just don't have any because there's no where to put it in your tiny ass apartment. Plus, by default you'll be selling/giving away all that clutter before you leave.

22. Frugal gifting. Gifts can cost a lot of money over the course of a year. Look for ways to do it cheaply. Make a gift, or give a consummable. My family enjoys getting and giving cookies, for example.
Or leave all your friends in family back in your home country so they understand when you miss their birthday/Christmas. Sorry guys, shipping costs more than your gift, I can't make it this year!

23. Quit smoking. Not the easiest way to save, I know. It’s hard. But I did it, and so have many, many others. Not only will you save on cigarettes (which are expensive over the long run), but also associated costs (I used to buy a soda or beer to go with my cigarettes) … and of course the huge, long-term medical costs. In less than 2 years of not smoking, I’ve saved well more than $3,000.
Or spend a significant fraction less on them when they're about $2 here. No, but seriously, quitting is smart. Unfortunately I'm not.

24. Alcohol in moderation. If you drink one beer or a few beers a day, that adds up to big money each month. Some drink even more than that. It’s expensive. If you can cut your drinking to the occasional party, and once in awhile with friends (not all the time), you’ll save tons.
Or be forced to work with small children early in the morning. That will definitely cut out any week night drinking. As far as the weekends go, I'm the wrong person to take advice from. But soju is less than $2 a bottle if you really want to cut corners and bear the hang over of death.

25. Sweets in moderation. Desserts and sweet snacks give us lots of calories with no nutrition. And we pay a premium price for that, in dollars and in our deteriorating health. Cut back on sweets (don’t eliminate them entirely of course) to save money and cut calories.
Or be sorely disappointed in the Korean version of all sweets. Minus MyChews, the best chewy candy ever. The flavors actually taste like apple, grape, etc. unlike that generic green and purple flavor. They're cheap too!

26. Drink water. Often we drink lots of calories through sodas, coffee, alcohol, juices, tea, etc. And that costs a lot too. Drink water, save money, save calories.
Or maybe stay back in your home country. You can't drink from the tap, though some people do. If you want to be super cheap just fill up your water bottle at your schools water dispenser. On the plus side, water bottles are also way cheaper here.

27. Batch your errands. Instead of running an errand or two every day, batch them into one errand day, and plan your most efficient route, to save gas and time. Also do as much bill-paying online as possible, to eliminate some errands.
Or don't have errands. I feel like back home I always had something to do. Now my biggest hassle is grocery shopping. That 4 minute walk to the grocery store has been such a pain!

28. Stay home. Becoming a homebody might not sound like a lot of fun, but it really can be. I love staying home with my family. We can do all kinds of fun things at home. Or I can spend a day alone, if the family is at school, and really enjoy it. It’s quiet and peaceful, I can read or watch a good movie or respond to comments on my blog or write. Staying home can save tons, in eating out expenses, shopping expenses, gas, and incidentals.
Or if you're the type of person who can move to a different country by yourself, I'm pretty sure you can already handle a few days at home alone. But why stay in? At the very least go out alone and explore your new neighborhood/city/country!

29. Stop using credit cards. Credit cards are not evil. And before you flame me, once again, I realize that they can be used to good purpose. If that’s how you use them, then that’s good, skip this tip. For others, credit cards make buying too easy, and end up making them buy too much. Not only that, but if you don’t pay your bill in full each month, they will cost you a lot in interest. The average American with at least 1 credit card has more than $8,500 in credit card debt. Don’t make that mistake.
Or actually pay them off completely with all the extra cash you save here. My first year I set myself credit card debt free, paying off over $5,000 that I somehow accumulated in the last 5 years.

30. Cancel subscriptions. With the wealth of information and entertainment online, do you really need magazine subscriptions? With all the news online, do you really need a newspaper subscription? If you can get DVDs for free or cheap, do you really need a Netflix subscription? Don’t flame me if you think you do need any of these — I’m just asking you to consider whether they’re really essential — the answer might be yes. Also consider other subscriptions you might be paying for — I’m not saying you should cancel everything, but seriously consider whether they can be canceled without much loss of value.
See #13.

31. Make your own. I won’t go into all the possibilities here, but many times we buy things when really, we could make them ourselves for much cheaper if we get a little creative. Now, this might take a little more time and effort, but it can be fun, especially if you make it a family project. We recently made our own (very simple) bookshelves with only a couple of pieces of lumber, instead of buying them. If you don’t know how to make something, search for it online. You’ll most likely find some instructions.
Or you can find tons of furniture by your apartments garbage... just a thought.

32. Do it yourself. Instead of hiring someone to do something, try doing it yourself. Sure, it takes some time and effort, but it’s satisfying, and of course cheaper. It’s also educational, if you don’t know how to do it — again, do an online search, read up on it, and give it a go. Frugality freaks are DIYers.
Or if you have any type of problem call your boss and explain that they'll need to fix it because you can't due to language barriers.

33. Stop paying interest. I mentioned the interest of credit cards, and auto loans, and mortgages. I consider them a waste of money. I’ve talked about how to live without credit before, and I recommend it for a frugal lifestyle. Consider any other accounts or loans where you pay interest, and see if you can eventually eliminate as much of these as possible.
See #29.

34. Reduce convenience foods. Frozen foods, microwaveable stuff, junk food … anything that’s packaged and prepared for our convenience is not only more expensive than something you cook yourself, but also most likely less healthy. I’m not saying to eliminate these completely, but reduce consumption.
Or reduce it to stove-top only because most private school teachers don't get a microwave. I've been microwave free since 2009. I haven't even noticed either! Plus convenience foods aren't all that popular in the grocery stores here.

35. Travel frugally. I actually don’t travel (or haven’t for years), but if you do have to travel, some advance planning can save you money. Airfare is most expensive, usually, so look to buy your ticket in advance, and look for deals. Also consider train travel. Shop around for car rental rates, as they can vary greatly (or use public transportation). Look for cheaper accommodations, or stay with a friend or relative. Just a note: I do plan to travel, but not until I finally eliminate all of my debt.
Or travel to awesome locations all around Asia that are now about half their original costs because you're already in Korea. That's my plan anyway.

36. Cut the cell phone. This will not be a popular suggestion either. If you don’t like it, move on to the next one. It’s not for everybody. But think about this: 20 years ago, most people didn’t have cell phones. And miraculously, they survived. A cell phone is not a necessity. It’s a convenience. When people needed to make a call, 20 years ago, they either waited until they got to a destination (wait to make a phone call?! omg!), or pulled over and used a pay phone or a phone in a business establishment.
Or at least ditch the smart phone. Most foreigners living here can't get smart phone contracts because they are only here for a year, so by default you're stuck with an old school flip phone. My room mate hasn't had a phone since January and mine recently broke but because of Facebook and Skype it hasn't been that big of a deal, more of a relief actually.

37. Cut your own hair. Again, this one isn’t for everybody. Personally, I use electric clippers to shave my head. It’s easy, it’s cheap, it’s minimalist, it’s care-free. I don’t worry about my hair getting messed up, or having to fix it in the morning. However, I’m not saying you should shave your head. Many people cut their own hair, in many simple but nice hairstyles, long or short. Saves money, and time.
Or get a haircut for $8. Yes, that's the cost of a hair cut here. You want a fancy salon? $10. And as usual, no tipping!

38. Maintain stuff. This is a no-brainer, but we don’t often think about it: if you take care of what you have, it will last longer. You’ll then spend less on buying new stuff. When you buy something worth maintaining, take a few minutes to read the maintenance manual, and create a maintenance checklist that you can attach to the item. For important things like your car’s oil changes or tune-ups, put them in your calendar.
Or, if you're like me, you have no choice to maintain it because some of my prized possessions are not available in this country. Basically just my hair diffuser but losing/breaking/forgetting that thing has caused me a world of trouble.

39. Save energy. There are little things we can do to lower our power bill. I don’t use a dryer or hot water heater, although those are a little extreme.
Or be dryerless by default. Utilities aren't as expensive here and you have such a smaller space to power that once again you'll be saving money without even knowing it.

40. Save gas. With the rising price of gas (and no end in sight), fuel has become a major monthly expense for many people. Small things can add up to big savings.
See #1 AGAIN!

41. Telecommute. Telecommuting doesn’t necessarily give you your dream job, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction. But in addition to allowing you to work in your underwear (and who doesn’t have that dream?), telecommuting saves money on gas, on eating out (if you eat lunch at a restaurant), and on buying expensive work clothes (all you need to buy is underwear, right? And no, don’t buy used underwear).
Or not because you already got an awesome job in Korea!

42. Plan ahead. Sure, easy to say, hard to implement. But if you make it a habit to think ahead to things that are coming up in your life, you can save a lot of money. For example, if you think about where you’re going to get your meals when you go out to do errands, you can pack a lunch or dinner instead of eating out. If you pack a big container of iced water, you don’t need to buy expensive bottled water. If you know that a birthday is coming up, you can buy a gift on sale instead of spending more at the last minute.
Well, if that works, okay?

43. Cook ahead. If you have one free day a week (or even a month), cook food in big batches and freeze in dinner-sized portions. I don’t do this all the time, but I have done it and it saves money (buying big can often save) as well as time. You have to plan it out a bit, coming up with a menu and shopping, cooking enough meals for a week or a month. But once you’re done, your meals each night (and for lunch if you like) are quick and easy. This saves you from eating out or eating convenience food when you’re hungry but too tired to cook.
Or get most your meals cooked for you by your school. I hate cooking, so I can never advocate any frugality in that area.

44. Wash clothes less. Some people wear clothes and then wash them, but I’ve gotten into the habit of wearing my clothes more than once if they’re not really dirty. I use my nose as a test — I don’t want to wear clothes that smell, but most times the clothes are still perfectly clean. This saves on washing.
Or don't worry about it because you get a free washer in your apartment and the water bill is not that expensive.

45. Sun-dry clothes. When my parents were young, everyone used a clothesline to dry clothes. Now dryers are ubiquitous, because they’re fast. But if you don’t wash a ton of clothes, it’s not that hard to take a few minutes to hang them up. You’ll save a lot in electricity, plus your clothes last longer.

Or just plain hang dry them because that's your only option in Korea. For more on this please read my previous post about TKLP.

46. Eat less meat. I’m not saying you have to become a vegetarian (although you could always give it a try), but once in awhile, eat meatless dishes. Pasta, vegetarian chili (see my recipe halfway downthis article), vegetarian Indian or Thai dishes, falafels with hummus and pitas and tomatoes and lettuce … there are plenty of tasty dishes without meat. And as meat is expensive (well, the fresh kind is … Spam is cheap), you’ll save money on meatless dishes. Again, I’m assuming you cook with fresh meat, not canned.
Or you go ahead and cook with canned meat. Seriously, Koreans love Spam. I'm kidding though, I wouldn't advocate the consumption of it, and strangely, that's the one thing that is more expensive here than back home.

47. Save on groceries. For my family of eight, groceries is a major expense. With some simple habits, we’ve been able to save a lot of money. See more here.

Or buy half as many groceries because breakfast and lunch are practically free so you're only left shopping for one meal a day.

48. Frugal Christmas. Christmas is expensive, especially in America (if you live in an area that doesn’t celebrate Christmas with a huge amount of buying, or doesn’t celebrate it at all, skip this tip). People go on crazy shopping gorges. It’s insane. While it makes the retailers and manufacturers happy, it doesn’t make our bank accounts happy. Break out of the cycle and find cheaper ways to celebrate Christmas.
See #30.

49. Eat a cheap breakfast. Here are some great ones.
Or go Korean style and just have rice and kimchi for breakfast. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. I personally like to buy a big bag of Muesli at Home Plus for 5 bucks, lasts a couple weeks and is

Comments

No response to “One Tip on How to Live Frugally”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Mobile Molly. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger