School wise, there hasn't been any school really. I've spent this entire work preparing for next week because that's when the school is opening. Essentially, this means doing a whole lot of nothing and spending WAY TOO much time explaining the song "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" to my boss and co-workers. It sucks because my boss worries way too much. She wanted me to literally do an intense choreographed set for the Itsy Bitsy Spider and she wanted me to practice it. I explained to her that it is just a fun chant and by no means do I need to practice a song I've known since I was, oh, 3?
Last night I went to a book club holiday party for a club I plan on joining. Got to meet a few more ladies, eat delicious food, and have them take pictures of me in really bad angles (see facebook). On the plus side, we played secret santa and I won a bottle of wine and two wine glasses which literally doubles the amount of glasses I had in my cupboard. And, once again I took the bus home by myself (EXCITING!).
Today was by far the most.... interesting day and uninteresting day at the same time. Basically there was nothing for us left to do at school so I sat around for 8 hours and played with Queeny, Andy (neither are their real names, but the American ones they got in school... yeah.. I know, Queeny? Is she a rap star? haha) and Shi-Hyo. Anyways, I've come to realize why so many people in American have adopted Asian children, they're fuckin' cute. I need to figure out how to pop one of those guys out, even though I don't think I could keep a child in my shoebox apartment (or in my life for that matter) for too long. When I first met Shi-hyo he bowed super low and said "Annyong Haseyo" which is Hello in English and literally he's like, a foot tall, maybe a foot and a half. He's the smallest walking person I've ever seen. He's 21 months old and runs around at a million miles an hour and I want to steal him. Here's me and Queeny trying to get him to bow and say Annyong again, but it didn't work. Either way he's a cutie. All three of those kids are my Boss's Neices and Nephews and my Coworkers kids (we keep it in the family over at iSponge Academy, minus my white ass).
Then they got into the Bugles and had a Bugle monster fight?
Keep in mind, the extent of their English knowledge is about the extent of my Korean knowledge (aka none). So spending time with them is even funnier because they talk to me and assume I understand and I do the same with them. So its just a big mess of jibber jabber. Oh, and Shi Hyo just crawled himself up on the computer and started moving the mouse around in Microsoft Word like he was doing something, so I had to take a few pictures of that!
After about another 4 hours of doing absolutely nothing I finally got to go home... or so I thought.
I had promised my boss that I would go to a Christmas event with her, she later informed me it meant going to her church with her and I would have felt bad backing out. So, immediately after school I hopped on the iSponge minibus and headed towards my boss' house. She lives with her parents about 20 minutes away in the country. After having dinner with her family I was glad I agreed to go and (gasps) even attend church with them. Don't worry, I didn't convert! But once I came into her house I was greeted with giant smiles on very very little old people. Her parents were so pleased to have me come and I could tell with their constant grins. Unfortunately, our ability to converse is very limited, so I just enjoyed the massive amounts of food and the traditional Korean house. In case you're wondering, here's a little glimpse of what was going on.
After eating I was given a bag of to- go boxes filled with Kimchi (the NUMBER ONE Korean dish), some tasty spinach thing, and some chewy dried fish thing, and 3 tomatoes. All together, I totally did well with this dinner date.
Last, but certainly not least was my two hour church visit where a million Korean kids did a bunch of skits that I couldn't even begin to understand. On the plus side, they were super cute and Queeny and Andy went to the church so I got to see them sing. Oh, did I mention being a white person in Korea is like being a celebrity? I was seriously grabbed and talked to and stared at the entire walk out of the church. I almost felt bad because I assume they thought I was their for the religious experience, but I was just there as an observer. It was definitely interesting to see a Korean church. It's not too different from the states, except ALL the old ladies have short permed hair, no exceptions! It kind of smelled like old lady too. Anyways, this has taken far too long to write and it's probably far less interesting than my day actually was, but oh well. Off to get some sleep and head to Busan for the weekend. This should be fun!

Comments
3 Responses to “For those of you that aren't big on reading..”
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment |
Merry Christmas Molly. Jack ":^)
All that stuff looks wicked rad!! Keep the blog posts coming, please!
-Jim
That little boy IS adorable!! They really dont mind you recording them while theyre eating??
Post a Comment